Maintenance-free batteries are now widely used in cars. In fact, it is also a lead-acid battery, with excellent performance of high performance, long life, pollution-free, maintenance-free, safe and reliable. So what is a maintenance-free battery? How many years can a maintenance-free battery last?
1. What is a maintenance-free battery?
Maintenance-free batteries, as the name suggests, the biggest feature is “maintenance-free”. Compared with lead-acid batteries, the consumption of electrolyte is very small, and there is basically no need to add distilled water during the service life. It also has the characteristics of shock resistance, high temperature resistance, small size and small self-discharge. Of course, its price will be more expensive than lead-acid batteries. As for the service life, the recommended replacement cycle for maintenance-free batteries under normal circumstances is about 3 years, which is equivalent to lead-acid batteries.
In order to avoid daily maintenance and maintenance, the design of its exhaust system is significantly different from that of lead-acid batteries, so in theory, it is not necessary to add distilled water or electrolyte frequently. In addition, the housing of maintenance-free batteries is generally closed, and unless there are professional tools and techniques, the general car owner cannot repair it by himself.
Although maintenance-free batteries are called “maintenance-free”, they are not completely unreliable. The manufacturer recommends checking the battery every 30,000 kilometers and maintaining it every 80,000 kilometers. However, there are very few 4S shops or repair shops that can perform this operation at present, and the service life of maintenance-free batteries is relatively fixed. The way of life.
2. Maintenance of maintenance-free battery
2. The maintenance-free battery can also be recharged, and the charging method is basically the same as that of ordinary batteries. When charging, the voltage of each cell should be limited to 2.3-2.4V. Note that using the conventional charging method will consume more water, and the charging current should be slightly smaller (below 5A) when charging. Fast charging is not possible, otherwise, the battery may explode, resulting in injury. When the hydrometer of the maintenance-free battery is light yellow or red, it means that the battery is close to being scrapped. Even if it is recharged, the service life is not long. The charging at this time can only be used as an emergency measure.
3. Maintenance-free battery can be used for several years
The lifespan of maintenance-free batteries is generally about two or three years or even longer. However, if you are familiar with the repair shop, you can replace it with a new one within the warranty period. The color of the electrolyte has three colors: red, green and yellow. The color of the electrolyte can be observed through the window hole. Green represents the normal life of the battery. about two years.
1. Since the maintenance-free battery adopts a lead-calcium alloy grid, the amount of water decomposition generated during charging is low, and the amount of water evaporation is low. In addition, the shell adopts a sealed structure, and the released sulfuric acid gas is also very small, so it is compared with traditional batteries. , It has the advantages of no need to add any liquid, less corrosion to wiring pile heads and wires, strong resistance to overcharging, large starting current, and long power storage time.
2. Due to its structural advantages, the maintenance-free battery consumes very little electrolyte and basically does not need to add distilled water during its service life. It also has the characteristics of shock resistance, high temperature resistance, small size and small self-discharge.
3. The service life is generally twice that of ordinary batteries. There are also two types of maintenance-free batteries on the market: the first one requires no maintenance after one-time addition of electrolyte at the time of purchase; the other is that the battery itself has been After the electrolyte is added and sealed, the user cannot add supplementary liquid at all.