Here are some Benefits to using LiFePO4:
- Higher capacity for the same physical size of lead acid.
- Can be discharged to 90% vs lead acid or AGM recommended 50% depth of discharge.
- Can be discharged at high current rate without losing Ah capacity vs lead acid which can be reduced to 40% Ah rating at high discharge rate.
- Can be installed indoors with no hydrogen gasses generated.
- About 1/3 the weight of lead acid.
- Doesn’t need temperature compensation for charging.
- Installing indoors can reduce cable length which reduces voltage drop and power loss.
- Installing indoors reduces risk of theft.
- Installing indoors reduces tongue weight from the front of a trailer.
- Output voltage is flat during most of the discharge cycle. About 13V
- Output voltage is higher than lead acid which keeps electronics operating longer.
- Higher output voltage reduces inverter current draw by approximately 10%.
- Can be charged faster. Up to .5C vs .2C with lead acid.
- Absorption mode is at the very end of charge instead of at a typical 80% for lead acid. This drastically reduces charge time.
- Can last many years (3000 cycles) vs approximately 2-5 years (300 cycles) for lead acid.
- Holds a charge for up to 1 year (without a load) without the need for a trickle charger.
- Higher voltage and higher current capability allows generator to start easier without low voltage lag.
- Can be recharged at least 3000 times and retain 80% of original capacity.
- Lifetime cost per Ah is about 10% of the cost of lead acid